Sunday, December 9, 2007

My Last Enkai

7th December, 2007

An enkai is a teachers party and this was my last one! Enkais are usually quite expensive and this was no exception. It was ¥10000 (around $100), but this time the school paid for me as it was my last one.

The food just kept coming and coming and coming!! It was very delicious and I stuffed myself to the max.

Oysters

Salad

Sashimi


Beef

Egg pudding

Noodles

Tenpura

Fruit

Dessert

Many teachers came up to talk to me - even teachers who could not speak English. It was really nice because they all seemed genuinely happy to talk to me.

This teacher always helped me with my computer problems. He was such a nice man.

Shiota Sensei - One of the English teachers that I worked with.

Shimuzu Sensei - The other English teacher that I worked with.

Ken is the person who has looked after me all year. He has been fantastic to work with.

During the night the social club had set up a BINGO game. Everyone would chant “Let’s BINGO!” and then they would push a button until a number came up. They had hired a board to play the game - it was very professional. I joined in but found it a little challenging as they were calling the numbers out in Japanese. It was good practice for me anyway. The first person won and got a prize. I didn’t even know we were playing for prizes. To me it looked like he had won a block of chocolate. Well funnily enough I somehow managed to win the next round. I went to collect my prize, more chocolate - well so I though......I thanked them for the prize and went to walk away. Everyone seemed really excited that I had won - I thought what’s the big deal it’s only chocolate! Then someone asked what I was going to do with my prize. Well that’s a stupid question I though - naturally I would eat it! I then asked the English teacher what it was and he said it was ichi man - which is $100. WOW, SHOCK SURPRISE!!! I couldn’t believe that it was $100. Fantastic I thought. I was very excited and happy with my prize. Now I need to find some time to go and spend it before I leave because it is actually vouchers. The first prize winner got $200 (not chocolate).

After BINGO a group of us headed to the second party which was karaoke and darts.

Singing at Karaoke

Playing darts

I had a lot of fun singing and playing darts with the teachers. It was very enjoyable.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

What a great enkai! Good one for winning the Ichiman!