Sunday, December 2, 2007

Amazing Sand Dunes in Tottori

24th November, 2007

Shinya drove us to Tottori where the most amazing sand dunes I have ever seen are. They were huge and apparently they spread for 16km. We have been wanting to go there all year and we finally got the chance. It was a beautiful day and perfect for going to the beach.

Steve, Marie, Lauren and I amazed at how big these dunes were.

Shinya, Marie and I took our shoes off and hiked up the steep part of the sand dunes while Steve and Lauren took the easy way out. It was a pretty steep slope to climb but the view from the top was well worth it.

Marie and I climbing the hill

Steve and I at the top of the dune with an awesome view of the ocean.


Shinya, Marie and I then copied everyone else and ran down the dune. It was so much fun. When we got to the bottom we put our feet in the water and was surprised to find that the water wasn’t all that cold. Almost swimable!!

Marie and I running down the dune.

We then hiked back up the hill and ran down the other side. It was awesome - I really enjoyed playing around in the dunes.

Marie, Shinya and I hiking back up the dune.

Me doing angels in the sand.

After we ate lunch Steve, Lauren and I bought pear icecream. Pear is the thing to buy in Tottori. The icecream was delicious!

Shinya then drove us to Yubara which is a spa town. Shinya told us to pack our bathers as there was an outdoor onsen where men and women sit in together. Lauren and I were excited as we were allowed to wear our bathers. As we got closer to the onsen we realised that everyone in it was male and that noone had their bathers on, they were all naked! We couldn’t believe it and were quite shocked. They were all just happily sitting there in the nude with the whole world to see them. There was NO chance I was joining them that’s for sure. We were a little disappointed as we really wanted to go in but I just felt way too uncomfortable.

The outdoor onsen.

We settled on a foot spa instead. It was much more relaxing and comfortable and we had amazing scenery to look at while taking the foot spa.

After we relaxed for a while Shinya drove us home. It was a long drive maybe 3 hours each way but definitely worth it.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

The sand dunes were amazing! and I wish there were about 20 less naked men so we could have gone in the onsen!!