Thursday, October 11, 2007

Shinzaike Matsuri

7th October, 2007

We were very fortunate to be invited to not only spectate but to actually participate in our local areas matsuri. We were each given a ‘happy coat’ to wear whilst joining in. It was a fantastic experience and one that I wont be forgetting in a hurry.

We met at 8am at a shrine around the corner from our residence and started with a morning drink of sake before the men lifted the shrine and raised it up and down a few times whilst yelling ‘yo ya sa!!’ It was good to see people we knew actually getting involved.


The shrine was then put onto some wheels so that it could be wheeled around our local streets. Everyone else walked and followed along behind chanting yo ya sa!!

We had a few drinks and snacks breaks along the way. At one of our stops I asked if I could help lift the shrine. Usually only men get involved in this but I was fortunate enough to be able to get a chance. I was so excited and happy to be involved.

We eventually ended a few hours later at a park just across the road from our residence where we ate a bento lunch and had some more beer. All the shrines from other neighbourhoods also ended up at this park. We then did a minor bit of shrine fighting, I was also involved in this and it was a little scary as everyone around me were men. I was unsure of the process so I was just trying to follow along as best as I could. All I could see were stacks of people around me and I felt as if I was going to be squashed -I managed to live to tell the tale. It was a great experience and I am really glad that I got a chance to be involved.

After the festival our local community held a party for us. We got all the food and drink we wanted. I tell you the drinks just kept coming and coming. There was never a time when your glass was empty. It was great fun celebrating with people from our local area.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

This festival was the best yet I think! How good were the drink stops! :)