Sunday, April 1, 2007

Yokohama - Sankeien Gardens

30th March, 2007

Most cities in Japan seem to have some kind of gardens to visit. Well the Sankeien Gardens have been my favourite gardens so far. They were so beautiful and it was very peaceful and relaxing just strolling through them. We spent a good 3 hours there and I would have been happy to just sit on the grass and lay down for another couple. They were quite a big garden and there was lots of things to see in there. I think the time of year that we chose to go in helped in making it one of the best gardens so far. The reason for this was because the gardens were covered in Sakura (cherry blossoms). The blossoms are gorgeous. You can see for yourself in the pictures. The gardens had a temple, lots of old beautiful houses – some which you could walk in, a lake, a bridge and lots of plants and flowers. It was a very busy park especially since all the Sakura were out – people were having their own little picnics and chill out sessions. It was great to see the Japanese people enjoying the Sakura as much as we were.

When we left the gardens we headed back to where our hotel was. Marie had found a place called Akarenga which she wanted to show us. It was like an old shed which had been transformed into a department store (inside). It was a really cool area, very busy too. There was a little flower garden just outside it which was nice too. We spent a while perusing the stores before we got hungry and found a Sizzler – in Japan, how’s that!! It didn’t have the good old Sizzler bread and potato skins but it was still good. We really wanted to go on the giant ferris wheel and into the tallest building so after Sizzler we headed to the tallest building, to my great disappointment it was closed. We then headed to the Ferris Wheel and found that that too was closed. I was extremely disappointed. I had had my heart set on doing both of those things and found that I wasn’t able to do either. I was sour for a while but soon got over it.
Instead we took a really cool photo just near the ferris wheel – I think that was meant to cheer me up! It’s a pretty cool photo though – what do you think?

1 comment:

Marie said...

Hmmm, that sounds similar to something I have written in the past!! I like how you tone down the fact that you were sour when you couldn't go on the ferris wheel. You were PEAKING!!! That is more the word!