Thursday, April 5, 2007

Hanami

4/5th April, 2007

Hanami parties are very traditional in Japan. Once a year when all the sakura start to blossom people sit and enjoy the beautiful tress whilst having a ‘hanami’ party. It is amazing seeing so many people all at the same time having picnics under the trees. Wherever there are sakura there are hanami parties happening – whether they be in a park or on a footpath it doesn’t seem to matter. Lots of food and drink and some tarp to sit on is all you need to begin the party. The blossoms usually only last around 7-10 days so you have to get in quick or have as many parties as you can during this period.

We experienced our first ‘hanami party’ last night inside the grounds of the Himeji Castle. It was freezing cold but I couldn’t pass up this opportunity. There were a few other teachers and some Japanese people and lots of food and drink to be eaten and drunk. It was a fantastic first experience. There were so many other people young and old also having hanami parties under the sakura. I was amazed at how many people were actually having these parties. I didn’t realise how big these parties actually were.

During this period the grounds to the castle is open to the public. We were fortunate enough to be able to enter inside. It was very beautiful in there with all the trees lit up with lights. It was amazing to see. We had a little walk around before it was time to leave.

Today I experienced my second hanami party. Just like the previous day – it too was amazing. We had the party with my students from the university as a lesson where we compared Japanese foods to Australian foods and then talked about Australian sports. Today was even more packed then yesterday. There were people all over the grounds having parties. It was fantastic to see so many people excited over Sakura. I really enjoyed both parties. I hope I get to have another one before the season is out.

1 comment:

Marie said...

I love Hanami parties as well! I always seem to get really full after going to one, though!