Monday, April 16, 2007

I'm Cooking Japanese!!



I cooked my first traditional Japanese meal – ‘Okonomiyaki’. We had lunch at one of Steve’s teachers houses and they cooked us this dish. We have eaten it many times at restaurants and it is absolutely delicious. I watched very closely as to how it was made so that I could attempt to make it myself. I finally got all of the necessary ingredients required to make this meal and chose a night to give it a go. Okonomiyaki is like a pancake type meal with cabbage, capsicum, mushrooms, thin slices of meat and these puff things that look like rice bubbles. Once the pancake has been cooked on both sides you put a BBQ type sauce and mayonnaise over it, sprinkle some ginger and tuna flakes on top and ‘wolah’ you have okonomiyaki. The good thing about it is that you can put anything inside of it. You could make it seafood or vegetarian or whatever you like. I got the thumbs up from Lauren and Marie. Steve was in Tokyo with Denzel so he missed out. He will have to wait until next time!! I’m not sure if it looked exactly as the Japanese make it, but it was okonomiyaki ‘Tina style’.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Looks great Tina. Well done. Count me in next time you're cooking!!

Marie said...

It is only 10:14am and I am hungry already! I wish I had your okonomiyaki to eat for lunch today!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tina
How are you going? It hasn't stopped raining here for almost 4 days!! Just wondreing isn't the saying 'voila'? your foods looks yum and the cherry blossums are so pretty. Your hello kitty ears are cute too.
Kylie and I are about to go shopping at Marion or harbour town we can't decide so might have to do both.
I am going to Melbourne on Wednesday and then to Vanuatu for the weekend on Friday which should be good. hope you're all well, say hi to Marie & Steve from me. deb x