Friday, June 1, 2007

Koto

Koto – what is it you may ask? It’s a Japanese instrument. I was lucky enough to be able to have a go at playing one. I went to the Koto club activity after school and some of the students taught me how to play the Koto. It is a strange looking instrument but it sounds beautiful. It has 13 strings and it is about 2 metres long. You play the Koto with small picks on the thumb and first 2 fingers of the right hand. The music is not written in notes as we know it, it is written in numbers. Each string is numbered. The first tune I played on the Koto was called ‘Sakura’ which means ‘cherry blossoms’. It is quite a nice song, very oriental sounding. The piece I played was quite basic but the students and the teacher gave me a demonstration of some other songs and they got quite complicated. They just look so graceful when they play. I would like to have another turn at playing the Koto. Maybe I will get the chance to go again.







I actually did this back in February but i didn't get any photos until now so I didn't post it straight away. That's why I am wearing a big jacket!!

1 comment:

Marie said...

I loved playing the koto too! It is such a beautiful-sounding instrument and so unique and different to any other instrument.