Thursday, January 18, 2007

Teaching So Far....

Well I have now taught for 2 weeks. The kids seem pretty good. They get very excited when they see you in the room. Some come in a say hello about 50 times because that’s the only word they know, some come in a crack up laughing and some just come in quietly. You get mixed reactions from each group of students. I teach for 4 days a week at the high school. On the other day I teach for half a day at the University. In the 4 days at the high school there are 24 lessons. I teach 14 lessons and have 10 free lessons. Each lesson consists of 50 minutes and then there is a 10 minute break in between lessons. Can you imagine having all that NITT? I have at least 2 lessons off a day and sometimes I have 3 lessons off. Australia should adopt this method then none of us would complain!! ☺ It is difficult to get the students to participate in lessons. They are very shy to speak English as they are out of their comfort zone. It takes a while to get them going and sometimes I don’t even know if they understand what I am saying to them especially when they just stare at me with blank faces. Hopefully as they get to know me more they will feel more comfortable to participate. At the moment I am teaching them how to use public transport and the types of questions they may need to ask or answer. The students I teach are about 15, 16 year olds. They are quite big compared to what I am used to. I will give you another teaching update further down the track…..

No comments: