Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A Swallowcliffe Moment...

26th January 2007

I had an interesting lesson today. Everything was going really well, the students were all on task doing what they were supposed to be doing when all of a sudden I heard a big commotion going on. I turned around to see one of the boys on the floor doing a little commando roll with his desk turned upside down and his chair fallen over. One of the other boys had pushed him over. At first I just thought he fell off his chair but then I saw another boy fired up trying to go for him again. The supervising teacher seemed pretty calm. She just went over to the boys and said something calmly to them in Japanese which I didn’t understand.
As I am not the main teacher there wasn’t much I could really do. I just let them sort out the issue. It was not like I had never seen this kind of behaviour happen before – but it was definitely the first time I had seen this type of behaviour in Japan. The funny thing was, no-one got sent out. I think it has to be pretty drastic for students to be sent out here – I definitely do not agree with this system. If students are being disruptive they should be sent out of the room. Well this certainly made my lesson interesting and one that stood out from the rest.

No comments: