Monday, November 12, 2007

A Trip Down The Hozu River

10th November, 2007

Marie, Lauren, Shinya and I (Steve had to work) headed to Kyoto to experience a traditional Japanese style boat ride down the famous Hozu river. About 30 people piled into the boat to enjoy the amazing scenery that surrounded us the entire way down the river. As it is autumn the colours around us were just beautiful.

The boats

Shinya, Lauren and I at the beginning of the ride

Beautiful scenery

More beautiful scenery

Some moments of the ride were a little rocky and rapidy but there was nothing to be worried about. It was very relaxing and good fun.

Some small rapids

Before the end of the ride a motorised boat came up to us selling and cooking food incase anyone was hungry. We were in fact a little hungry so we bought a couple of things to eat. The Japanese people think of EVERYTHING!!

2 hours later we arrived at the end of the river. It was such a beautiful day that there were people everywhere taking boat rides in the river, walking around or just admiring the scenery.

Our boat and our 3 tour guides.

We had a quick bite to eat before heading to a couple of temples which we had never been to before. It surprises me just how many temples and shrines there actually are in Kyoto and although I have been there many times through the course of the year I can still manage to go to some that I have not seen before.
Tenryu-Ji


Beautiful autumn

Yasaka Temple


Maruyama Park

Some girls dressed up as Maiko

All of us with an amazing background

It was a really enjoyable day and I would recommend this trip to everyone. I think spring or autumn would be prime times though.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I loved it! I'm so glad it wasn't white water rafting so I could go! I loved the food boat too!