Monday, March 5, 2007

My First Hair Cut

4th March, 2007

Well I decided that it was time to do something with my hair. I have been here for two months and have not touched it so it was looking very sad and sorry. So I was very brave and booked myself into the hairdressers. Now this is the first time in my whole life that I have ever been to the hairdressers to get my hair done as usually mum does it all for me. I was very concerned about how my hair was going to turn out considering I speak no Japanese. Even making an appointment was in hand signals! I wanted to colour my hair red so I learnt the word for red and said that to them in Japanese. They then came back with some samples that I had to choose from. I had no idea which one to pick as usually mum just knows the one I want. Plus the samples are never the way they actually look on your hair. I chose the one that I thought was the one I normally wear and hoped for the best! They gave me a magazine to look through to choose a style of cut. There were so many to choose from – I chose one that had a fringe. While they were putting the colour on I was thinking that it was looking a lot lighter than my usual colour so I was getting a little worried. I didn't want it to look too red or pink. When it washed off and was wet it was really noticeable which made me even more worried because when mum does it you can hardly tell when it is wet – it’s not until it is dry that you can notice the red. Once they had cut it they started drying it and it started looking better. The hairdresser took ages to style it for me and when it was finally finished I was actually happy with the result. The colour might have been a little lighter than what I was expecting but it was ok. There was no major disaster which was good. I was in the hairdressers for almost 3 hours and it cost me $102 which for me is very expensive considering I get cuts and colours for free normally but I suppose that is fairly reasonable. I can now say that I have been to the hairdressers!

Trying to find a cheap place to get your nails done on the other hand is a different story. They all seem to be around the $100 mark which is crazy. I am still looking though because I really want them done. Waxing just doesn’t seem to exist over here in Japan. I have not seen one waxing shop which is really frustrating. Who knows how they get rid of hair here but they obviously don't wax!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice hairdo...nothing too outrageous for your first visit to the hairdresser. Welcome to the real world $100 is pretty decent for cut and colour.

Anonymous said...

About time you went to a hairdresser and had to pay like we all have had to do for years. $100 is pretty cheap considering what you had done so dont complain!!!!! Waxing on the other hand - hmmm. Maybe we will all have to go on a roster to post you home waxing kits each month. Looks good though.